Monday, September 24, 2012

I've Gone Pro

Right?

For today's workout, I played football... with men.  Can I explain to you all that this is not easy. Luckily they were patient with me, but seriously, this is why girls don't play football. I mean I hate to take the non-feminist approach, but I'm just not built to do it. Not possible. But, in the end it was good cardio and I learned a few techniques. Well, I learned how someone might perform them. Just not me.

At least I didn't stop and pray periodically throughout the game. (cough. cough. Tim. cough.)

So "they" say that you're supposed to write down what you eat throughout the day.  Apparently writing it down will help you lose weight. I think I might try it so ya'll will also have to read what I eat. I might skip some days if I'm too embarassed. 

Here's the psychology behind it:
 
By
WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

What if just by making one change in your habits, you could double your weight loss? It may sound too good to be true, but many experts say that the simple act of keeping a food diary can encourage you to eat fewer calories -- and thus lose weight.

Several studies have shown that people who keep food journals are more likely to be successful in losing weight and keeping it off. In fact, a researcher from one recent study says that people keeping a food diary six days a week lost about twice as much weight as those who kept food records one day a week or less. For the six-month study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, dieters kept food diaries, attended weekly group support meetings, and were encouraged to eat a healthy diet and be active.
How does writing down what you eat and drink in a food journal work this kind of magic?

For one thing, keeping a food diary instantly increases your awareness of what, how much, and why you are eating. This helps you cut down on mindless munching, says Megrette Fletcher, MEd, RD, executive director of The Center for Mindful Eating.

Food diaries also help people identify areas where they can make changes that will help them lose weight, says Victoria Catenacci, MD, assistant professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.  For example, she says, "people don’t realize how many calories they are obtaining from caloric beverages and snacks, and these can be easy interventions … that can help reduce calories."

Sherrie Delinsky, PhD, a staff psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, says food diaries can unveil patterns of overeating. They can also reveal identify triggers to avoid, such as not eating enough throughout the day and then overeating at night, or overeating when drinking alcohol.

For some people, the very fact that they have to record every bite helps deter overeating, Delinsky says. Her clients "often reconsider eating something because of not wanting to write it down," she says.

This could be dangerous territory....

No comments:

Post a Comment